Sunday, January 31, 2016

Calling All Millennials!

Fit to Teach


The millennial generation comes off as the Coolest people! Millennials are all the right things: Both artistic and unconventional, purpose-filled, unselfish, invested in their local community.
Did I mention how cool they are? They make me want to give everything away and live in a solar-powered tiny house.
(FYI: According to wikipedia I missed the millennial generation by just one year, so I consider myself borderline cool.)
I’m such a fan of this group of people because they have the raw make-up of the ideal teacher. A stereotypical millennial is exactly what education needs. She is invested in the local product and desires a connection with her work. She is deterred by the mundane, while engaged with inquiry and creating. This is the mentality that students need from their educators.


The Millennials have stretched the professional world to look beyond traditional qualifications and credentials. There are more ways to learn something than sitting in the classroom and passing the occasional test. I admire this generation’s courage to try new things and learn through inquiry. They admit to not knowing all of the answers. How refreshing! The worst thing we could have is a teacher who knows all the answers. Somewhere along the line we mistakenly took the label of “professional” to mean “a field know-it-all”. We’d be better off to prefer vulnerability and honesty.
(My previous post Regaining Purpose goes into more detail about maintaining a right vision for teaching and learning)

The Master Teacher


Looking at the book Twelve Ordinary Men it’s obvious Jesus was a master teacher to the disciples because he developed each in their unique characteristics. Each was groomed according to the individual. You see each personality come out, although it’s been refined on a personal level.
But those fixed and hardened teachers combat a hopeful future. Their students soon believe that there is only one right answer.



It’s possible I’ve idolized the millennial a tad, but I simply admire the perspective they represent. It shouldn’t be about climbing the ladder, instead commit to your exploration and be grateful for each discovery.


Disclaimer: I understand I have drawn a wide stereotype of the millennial and have not discussed the negative attributes.
I feel they’re entitled to their share of positive publicity.

No comments:

Post a Comment